Monday, 3 February 2014

Grammar Review

Present Continuous

To form the present continuous auxiliary verb is to be and the gerund (infinitve + ing) of the verb used


1-Structure Affirmative Sentences:

Subject + verb auxiliary (to be) + gerund (ing)

For examples:

I'm talking
He's eating
There's playing

2- Structure Negative Sentences:

Subject + verb auxiliary (to be) + auxiliary negative + gerund (ing)

For examples:

I'm not talking
He's not eating
There're(they aren't) not playing


3- Structure Interrogative Sentences:

Verb auxiliary (to be) + subject + gerund (ing)?

For examples:

Are you talking?
Is he eating?
Are they playing?


Time expresions: Currently, lutely, these days...

The present continuous is used to talk about something that is going on at the time we spoke.



Present Simple:


To conjugate the present simple we use the inifinitive for subject I, you, we and they and for another he, she and it, add a -s to end of the verb.

1-Structure Afirmative Sentences:

Subject + principal verb

For examples:

I talk
He eats
They play

2-Structure Negative Sentences:

Subject + auxiliar verb (to do) + auxiliar negative (not) + principal verb

For examples:

I don't talk
He does not eat
They don't play

3- Structure Interrogative Sentences:

Auxiliar verb (to do) + subject + principal verb

For examples:

Do you talk?
Does he eat?
Do they play?

Time expresions: always, every day,usually....

The present simple is used to talk about things that usually happen.

Past Simple: 

1- Structure Afirmative Sentences:

Subject + principal verb

For examples:

She was a doctor
I wanted to dance
 He learned English


2- Structure Negative Sentences:

Subject + to be + not

For examples:

She wasn't a doctor
the keys weren't in the drawer

Subject + auxiliar verb (to do) + not + principal verb

For examples:

I didn't want to dance
He didn't learn english
They didn't to play

3- Structure Interrogative Sentences:

To be + subject?

For examples:

Was she a doctor?
Were they play a football?

Auxiliar verb + (to do) + subject + principal verb?

For examples:

Did you want a dance ?
Did he learn English?
Did they play a football?

Time expresions: last year,yesterday,last night

The simple past is used to talk about a specific action that began and ended in the past.


















No comments:

Post a Comment